NV is a constantly changing community which means classrooms across the state include students who have recently arrived in the US in the last 3 years. Have you ever wondered how best to support these students with their SEL and academic needs?
The NVTESOL Newcomer ELL special interest group (SIG) would be a network for exchanging resources, a platform to provide training on the specific needs of newcomer immigrant and refugee students in Nevada schools, and a forum to discuss policy and curriculum for students who are newcomers, WIDA level 1-2 (entering to emerging).
This SIG could focus on topics such as:
- Addressing the social and emotional needs of a newcomer (cultural accommodation, building connections to the student's culture through understanding)
- Resources and language accommodations for newcomers with a limited English language proficiency (entering to emerging)
- Understanding the different needs of immigrants versus refugees
- Providing support for unaccompanied minors
- How to support SIFE students develop and strengthen their core academic skills
- Community resources available to newcomers and their families
If you have suggestions for topics to discuss in this SIG please fill out the interest survey: https://forms.gle/8TdTLgaTNMBZsTGA7
I just saw on Twitter that they will be donating the money for the conference to KIND!
FREE CONFERENCE by @Seidlitz_Ed ==> https://t.co/z3GV3NnogX
Hear from those who have lived the experience of coming to America as UNACCOMPANIED MINORS.
In lieu of charging for the conference, we encouraged to donate to Kids in Need of Defense (KIND): https://t.co/8zRqNb070G https://t.co/zRFnDu9t1x
There is a training coming up through the organization "Immigrant Connections" about unaccompanied minors in schools. There is a fee of $49 to attend and there are two sessions to choose from. Here is a link to the registration: https://www.immigrantsrefugeesandschools.org/supportingunaccompaniedimmigrantyouth?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=a_wave_of_unaccompanied_immigrant_children&utm_term=2021-07-08
I also recommend signing up for their website as they put out some great information and frequently offer trainings to ELL educators.