NV is a constantly changing community which means classrooms across the state include students who have recently arrived in the US in the last 3 years. Have you ever wondered how best to support these students with their SEL and academic needs?
The NVTESOL Newcomer ELL special interest group (SIG) would be a network for exchanging resources, a platform to provide training on the specific needs of newcomer immigrant and refugee students in Nevada schools, and a forum to discuss policy and curriculum for students who are newcomers, WIDA level 1-2 (entering to emerging).
This SIG could focus on topics such as:
- Addressing the social and emotional needs of a newcomer (cultural accommodation, building connections to the student's culture through understanding)
- Resources and language accommodations for newcomers with a limited English language proficiency (entering to emerging)
- Understanding the different needs of immigrants versus refugees
- Providing support for unaccompanied minors
- How to support SIFE students develop and strengthen their core academic skills
- Community resources available to newcomers and their families
If you have suggestions for topics to discuss in this SIG please fill out the interest survey: https://forms.gle/8TdTLgaTNMBZsTGA7